Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Aiken's art scene: Juilliard in Aiken
Did you grow up listening to chamber music in your home? Me, not so much.
I did spend several years of my childhood in Fort Worth, Texas. Along with the cowboy boots in business suits, the Dallas/Ft. Worth area had a thriving arts scene. We took school trips to operettas, art museums, theatre, and concerts. I fell in love with art because of those experiences.
Loving art isn't about sounding smart. Or being wealthy. Or your social status.
Art reveals tangibly what is common to our human experience.
Maybe you work this out on the ball field, the business, or the bank.
Maybe you cook it, clean it, clothe it out.
Whatever your point of view, seeing art performed at its highest levels is a deeply moving experience. I know not a thing about chamber music but I know that I was brought to tears by a Juilliard in Aiken performance I watched from the front row of The Washington Center. I know that whoever wrote the music and however you make the notes, I like it!
I also know that the gate is creaking open on art for some other child this week. Why don't you give it a try?
Julliard as an Aikenite? Definately. http://www.juilliardinaiken.com/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment