Have The Aikenite Sent to your Inbox

Julliard in Aiken 2009

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Jewel of Aiken

      As a young girl,  I  had the chance to spend several weeks in Washington, D.C.  I spent much time in the Smithsonian buildings but my favorite was The Museum of Natural History.  One of the things that really impressed me was the gem display that included The Hope Diamond.  I'd heard of this famous piece but thought it would look clear like my stud earrings.  So, my first shock was that it is blue. 

My next shock came years later when I learned that it had once resided in Aiken!  The jewel has a fascinating history including rumor of a curse and other magical properties. You can learn more about its history here:



In 1910, Aikenite Evalyn McLean purchased the diamond from renowned jeweler, Pierre Cartier.  Apparently, she wore the gem frequently. You can read a great tale at The Aiken County Historical Museum (http://www.aikencountymuseum.org/) about her showing her prize to a friend.  She took the friend back to her bedroom and had the necklace wrapped up in stockings in a dresser drawer!  Wow.  Mrs. McLean wanted her jewlery to go to her grandchildren but were put on sale in 1942 to settle debts from her estate.  The Hope Diamond was sold to Harry Winston, a New York Jeweler.  Mr. Winston eventually donated the national treasure to The Smithsonian as part of The National Gem and Mineral Collection. 

The juxtapostion of wealth and understatement are main ingredients in what Aiken is...

The Hope Diamond in an underwear drawer...that is very Aiken. 

2 comments:

  1. I just love the history that is found here in this wonderul city! I don't have the passion for research, so I love that you write about these things and give me easy links to read!!
    LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for that piece of history.....I never would have known!!!!

    ReplyDelete